Friday, November 9, 2012

The one with Running + Chocolate.

I ran my first trail run on Sunday, the Mud & Chocolate Half Marathon. It was a blast! We had perfect weather and the leaves were just so beautiful. I now think I'm hooked on trail running. The only problem was that I wore my barefoot shoes and ended up bruising my foot on some sharp, angry rocks. Ouch!

My times was 2:10. At first I was pretty bummed by my time because I normally run half marathons in around 1:50 to 1:55. Matt tells me that trail running is a little slower, and I guess that makes sense because you have to dodge piles of leaves and rocks and puddles of mud. I also have a secret theory that the race was actually longer! (Three laps of 4.5 miles + a short run to and from the place where the three laps start. I'm not great at math, but I think that's more that 13.1 miles!)
Matty was so sweet to take photos of the race. Because there were three loops, there were lots of opportunities for him to watch me run.
At the end of the race we were rewarding with lots and lots of chocolate! I am normally not in the mood for chocolate after an exhausting work out, but I stashed some treats for later. :)

The best part about the day was that I got to catch up with an old friend from Hygiene school. We haven't seen each other in five years! So much fun.


3 comments:

  1. Yay, that's in the Redmond Watershed, right? It's close to us, we go there often!

    Trail running is definitely slower than road running (but also more fun)! I'm signed up for the Orcas 25K with lots and lots of elevation gain, I have a feeling it's going to take me about 6 hours...I am THAT slow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to get some photos of your labor/love. Great job Matt! Awesome chocolot reward :). Looking forward to your soon visit! Lubm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool that Matt got picks of you! (The 3 laps would be 13.5 miles + the to and from the start. Thats a lot of running.

    ReplyDelete